Monday, April 28, 2008

Sleep-overs were more fun when I was 8...

Elizabeth has been begging me since last year to have a sleep-over for her birthday, so I finally caved. I mean, how hard could it be? Seeing as how it's Monday and I'm still whining about it, you can guess the answer to that question!

It started out well enough, with some pizza and then outside to play. We waited until her best friend got her after a dance recital, then did presents, cake & ice-cream, then got them all settled in front of a Harry Potter movie. Of course, by this time my eyes were a red, itchy mess from spending a couple hours outside with my arch-nemesis tree pollen. I went to lay down while Dave kept an eye on things. By midnight, all except two girls were asleep, so he put on another movie and came to bed. Next thing I had a hovering almost-8-year-old two inches from my face. "Mrs. Kroger? The cat bit Brianna." We proceeded to lock up the cat and go back to bed.

The next excitement came at 2:30 am, when we heard Alex come downstairs. Dave put him back to bed, and I went to deal with the two girls who were STILL up. Seriously? I purposely did it on a Friday, so they'd be tired after a week of school. The girls say they're hungry and thristy, so I get them some water & fruit snacks. Conversation ensues...

Me: "So do you guys do a lot of sleepovers?"
Brianna: "Sometimes."
Me: "Do you always stay up this late?"
Brianna: "No, but mama doesn't let us have Coke before bed."

Touche, Brianna, touche! What a rookie mistake - to have Coke available at a slumber party! Live and learn - someone remind me to lock up the Coke the next time someone asks to have a sleepover...

We spent the rest of the weekend trying out our brand new Wii. We've had a blast so far, and it's a great motivator to get the kids to do their chores. I kick butt in Bowling, but alas my ability to swing a bat or tennis racket on the Wii sucks just as bad as in real life. I most like the way I can make my "Mii" all tall and skinny. So who cares if my Mii sucks at sports - at least she looks good!

No comments: